Sunday, February 15, 2009

Oh! Valentines Day

One of the saddest days I've had in a long time. I went down to a shelter in the next town to look at a dog and ended up sitting in my car crying before I made the decision to take Ol Frank with me. I couldn't find a vet that would stay open long enough for me to get back to Richmond and I was so worried he had something contagious that I didn't want to take home to my 12 year old dog. Thought I was going to have to leave him with a request he be put out of his misery or go to VEC on Cary and mortgage my future children to pay for his care.

Thank goodness though I had a friend call Fairfield AH on Nine Mile and they were still open but walk in's had to arrive by 1 and I was going to be just shy of 1pm. So a friend ran up there to start filling out paperwork so we would make the deadline. So, as Frank and I are outside waiting. Me watching the day pass by, frank just passed out on the grass....my friend approaches with a little red puppy in her arms and trailing behind is her "owner". He bought her on the 13th and let her get hit by a car just a few hours later. Now it's mid afternoon on the 14th and she still hasnt received any care for her dangling left back leg. I am sure it's broken. He isn't planning on getting her care because he claims he can't pay for it - even though he just paid
for her yesterday. He's just planning on dropping her off and hoping that someone will come through. So now we have passed out Frank and dangling leg puppy and still waiting to see the vet. The world works in mysterious ways.

The puppy's (see sunshine, she's up for adoption) tibia is broken and it's getting pinned on Tuesday 2/17. She will have a cast for a while, then finish up her vetting and find a new home. She will recover completely and be better for it. She'll get a home that will walk her on a leash and not let her be abused or neglected in any way. She's a typical punky pit bull puppy.

Frank, frank, frank. He's a different story and I wish we knew where he came from and what happened to him. He walks like he's drunk and has some ataxia like motor problems. Stiff legged walk, wobbly off balance and has a difficult time on slick flooring. He doesn't have
enough muscle mass for his large frame and that's just one of his problems. He has a raging skin infection and mange. His skin is weepy and itchy all over his body. He scratches himself to blood and he is unable to settle down and can barely walk without falling over from trying to scratch his itchy body. He has meds for pain, meds for infection, meds for mange and meds for worms. We won't know if Frank will be put up for adoption for a while. I can only hope that where ever he came from...that person has a visit with Karma. It is tragic that a dog could be allowed to get in this condition.

No comments: